Scott Barlow struggled to land on a major that fit in college. He just never felt like he knew what he wanted to do. It wasn’t until he was fired from his first job, which he hated, that he really began trying to find something that was a good fit for him. Scott found his way into HR and eventually discovered both a knack for and interest in helping people answer the same kinds of questions that he struggled with back in college.
Today Scott and the team at Happen To Your Career help people identify how they want to be spending their time, what they love to do that they have the potential to be great at and how they can transition that into their career.
In this episode, Scott shares why it’s a process of continuous iteration and how those iterations have played out in his own life.
What you will learn in this episode:
- What Scott does and how he helps people
- Scott’s backstory and how his goals have changed over time
- The importance of paying attention to what is working and what questions people are always asking you
- How to know you’re on the right path even when people tell you they don’t understand what you’re doing
- Why Scott believes you should build feedback and evaluation loops into your life on a regular basis
- What the puzzle method is and how it can help you change career
- The power of prioritizing what’s most valuable to you
- The reason you should identify your anti-strengths as well as your strengths
- The common misconceptions people have about the career change process and why you should take the long view
- How Scott actually made his own career transition from job to entrepreneur
Where to find Scott:
You can find Scott’s Podcast Happen To Your Career in Apple Podcasts and grab the free 8-day video course to help you discover what’s most important to you at http://www.happentoyourcareer.com/meaningmovement
The End of Average by Todd Rose
The Calling Course: a self-paced experience guided, designed, and created by yours truly to help you find and do more work that matters to you. Get started with a free mini-course at TheCallingCourse.com